B. Hutchinson House


Hutchinson House. Longwood Public Library, Thomas R. Bayles Collection CS 28A-18

Hutchinson Home, opposite Longwood Public Library. Courtesy of Queensborough Public Library.

This house was built by Daniel Brewster around 1744.
Daniel died in 1748 and to his son Daniel Brewster Jr. conveys farm and one equal half of it, five lots and home "where I now live" 5 lots at Middle Island numbered 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, north side of the Country Road to half way to Wading River Road, also land on south side of the road in front of house, and other lands June 18, 1750.

Map of the long lots at Middle Island.

Benjamin Tuthill Hutchinson was the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Hutchinson. He was born up the hill at the old homestead on March 2, 1808, married (1) Louisa D. Youngs Dec. 9, 1835 and (2) Minerva Overton May 17th, 1840. He died Sept. 25, 1877 and Minerva died in 1904. They had the following children with dates of birth shown.

  • Benjamin F. Oct. 11, 1836
  • Elbert Feb. 19, 1841
  • Cynthia June 2, 1843 unmarried
  • Francis Jan. 13, 1845 mar. Eliza Hopkins
  • Edwin May 8, 1847 mar. Clara J. Brown
  • George H. July 19, 1849 unmarried
  • Henry P. Oct. 11, 1851 mar. Kate Risley
  • Mary E. Aug. 11, 1853 unmarried

Benjamin T. Hutchinson had an Uncle John Hutchinson who married Polly Davis Oct. 8, 1814. That year John bought the farm on the East Side of the old Hutchinson homestead. John and Polly lived there until May 1826, when they moved to New York City. Benjamin T. returned to Middle Island in 1830 after several years in New York City and on April 21, 1834 bought the farm from his Uncle John. The 100-acre farm was bounded as follows:

  • South by the Country Road
  • West by land of Benjamin Hutchinson
  • north by land of Gershom Hawkins
  • east by Millers Place Road

Benjamin T. became postmaster of Middle Island May 6, 1834 and established the post office in his house. He was Brookhaven Town Clerk in 1848 and 1849, Suffolk County Clerk 1850-1853, and Town Clerk again from 1860 until his death in 1877. After his death his daughter Cynthia was appointed postmaster. Cynthia lived alone in the house and was found dead there Nov. 11, 1909.

After Cynthia's death the woodland was sold to LeRoy Realty Co. in New York City and a subdivision map of the land was filed in the County Clerk's office. The remainder of the property and house was eventually sold to the Kogel brothers who began excavating the sand to produce concrete.

In the late 1940s the house was taken down,


Click Here to See Article About This Home

Information compiled by,
Mr. Donald Bayles, local historian

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.