MENU

District 12 schools Pictures Displayed at Coram Library

Footnotes to Long Island History

Six Schoolhouses:

Dist. 12 Schools’ Pictures Displayed at Coram Library

by

Thomas R. Bayles


  District 12 schools Pictures Displayed at Coram Library
Eat Middle Island one room schoolhouse.  Photo from the collection of Donald bayles.

Photographs of the early schools in the Middles Island Central School District 12 have been assembled and mounted for display and presented to the school library in Coram by Thomas R. Bayles.  This interesting collection of pictures of the six schoolhouses may be inspected at the library whenever the library is open.

            The group consists of the Ridge school, built in 1872; the Yaphank school, built in 1854; the West Yaphank school, built in 1907; the Coram school, built in 1900; the East Middle Island school, built in 1835, and the West Middle Island school, built in 1813, which is the oldest one of the six schools making up the Middle Island Central School district.

            Additions to the four schools in the district have been completed at Coram, West Middle Island,
Yaphank and Ridge.  Longwood High School, which is under construction, is expected to be ready for occupancy by next September
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.