MENU

The Motorcycle Track at Coram

The Motorcycle Track at Granny Road.

The Suffolk County Motorcycle Club was formed around 1916 and performed in races at the Riverhead County Fair. The organization saw its greatest growth after World War II, and at its peak the club numbered 65 members in 1946.

At that time a motorcycle track was built in Medford, on the north side of Granny Road (1/4 mile east of RTE. 112). For the next eight years, competitive races were held. The track was a half mile in length and consisted of hairpin turns and a hill. Races took place on Sunday afternoon in all conditions.

The track was sanctioned by the American Motorcycle Association, and the AMA classified the ½ mile dirt track as “T T “ , or tough tourist track . This Medford track was one of five in a circuit with the others being in Pa., Ct, .Rhode Island, NJ, and upstate NY. The contestants from all of the above tracks would tour the other tracks and race. The Medford track was considered the toughest track of all.

There were a number of categories ranging from Expert to Novice, and a typical race would consist of six laps in whatever condition the track was in. Based on the number of contestants, race heats were held, culminating in a championship race.

Frequent local winners were Patchogue residents; Everett Wright, Roger Miskoskey, Jake Parris, and Donald Pink of the Bronx.. Racers came from as far as New Jersey Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut to participate. Winners in each category received cash prizes and trophies. The local favorite was Roger Miskosky of Patchogue, who won enough races to receive $1000 in prize money in 1947.

The season consisted of a six race series, and the total point winner received the coveted Tourist Trophy

Very popular with the locals, up to 500 spectators viewed these daredevils race on this challenging dirt track, including a hill where the bikes would leave the ground and not touch down until more than half way down the hill. Usually an ambulance was stationed at the bottom of this hill.

It is believed that the races ceased in 1953, as the owner of the property became aware of the potential liability he faced if either a rider or spectator was hurt. While the races officially ended around 1953, the locals would still run motorcycles and cars on the track.

Interest in this story was revived by Steve Nolan, who witnessed these races as a young boy. He has contacted people and created an artifact archive. Additionally, Steve, has walked the track and marked out the trail. It is hard to distinguish the track as years of growth has obscured much of the original track. Efforts are underway to create a bicycle trail on the old track and connecting it to the existing bicycle trail in the Overton Preserve.

The club held meetings at the Brau House in Medford, where they would watch movies of the old races.

line
The starting line.
lin
race
hill
6
Coming up the hill.
russo
sign
na
3
1969
1969 map
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.